Prospective Students FAQ

Jump to: Program Facts / General University / Living & Extracurricular / Career & Professional Services / International Student / Financial / Admission/Application

Program Facts

I am an engineer. Why is this program right for me?

Engineers are the driving force behind the burgeoning growth of technological innovations in the past few decades. Technology organizations that are successful in their market space and that make the leap "From Good to Great" have leaders at the helm who have integrated the technical output of the organizations talented engineering workforce with sound management practices and provided a breeding ground for innovation that makes them competitive and a force to be contended with.

Engineers strive to become those influential leaders regardless of whether they are fresh graduates, or have had some industry experience. The MSTM program is a step in the right direction towards that endeavor. The engineering technology manager has the support and respect of their engineering team, and they combine their technical knowledge and problem solving skills with effective business management practices and decision making skills to steer their team and organization in the right direction.

The engineering technology manager understands the importance of short-product cycles, while not compromising on quality, to deliver world class services and products, and enable their organization to stay one step ahead of the competition. They look to the future and formulate an effective and multi-pronged strategy to ensure strong and sustainable growth for their organization. They are the champions of innovation, leading their organizations to the next big thing. The MSTM program lays the foundation that enables the engineers of today to be the leaders of tomorrow and drive the next great revolution in technology.

When does the program begin and end and how long will it take to complete the program? Can you also tell me the projected calendar for both the Professional and Graduate tracks?

Advancement Track

The MS Technology Management Advancement track is 12 months. It will begin mid-August and end the following August. There are three semesters with approximately a one-month break in between each semester. All MS in Technology Management (MSTM) dates are tentative and subject to minor adjustments.

Graduate Track

The MS Technology Management graduate track is 11 months. It will begin mid-June and end the following May. There are three semesters with approximately a one-month break in between each semester. All MS in Technology Management (MSTM) dates are tentative and subject to minor adjustments.

What textbooks will I need to purchase?

Textbook information will become available approximately one month before the start of each semester or as soon as available at Illini Union Bookstore. Use the Course Schedule for the correct term available at to determine the courses and sections you will be taking.

Type in the term, select a department, course and section. This will tell you the book(s) required for this course. You can also go to one of the three campus bookstores: Illini Union Bookstore, T.I.S. Bookstore or Follett's Bookstore and purchase them or order online with the ISBN numbers at, and other sites.

Is a computer required for the program?

Here are some of the important points that new students need to keep in mind for their laptops:

  • MS Office 2010 or 2011 (Mac) must be installed. Check out Cites Webstore for a great deal and/or once you arrive we can assist you in ensuring it is installed.
  • A lightweight but sturdy laptop is wise since you would be carrying it around a lot.
  • Good battery life, a minimum of 2 – 4 hours on a single charge, is a smart investment.
  • Macs may have compatibility issues with other student users, docs, excel sheets etc. In addition, some software does not have Mac versions. Installing Windows or a compatible program will solve most issues, except for keyboard shortcuts.
  • What should I do to prepare for my studies? Are there any workshops prior offered prior to the start of classes? During the year?

    You can prepare for the program by brushing up on Business Statistics, Math, and Accounting prior to arriving. As you are reviewing, you may find areas that you need to spend more or less time on. You can be the judge. We recommend you look at the online offerings at When should you complete this? We recommend you complete this prior to your arrival on campus. While we will cover these topics here the more you work on these subjects prior, the better prepared you will be for our fast-paced courses.

    ESSENTIAL: Here is a list of Business Statistic topics that all incoming students should study prior to arrival: Probability, Descriptive Statistics (Frequency, mean, mode, median, variance, standard deviation), z-score, Normal Distribution. Your Statistics course will use the following text but for your review prior to your arrival you can use any textbook.

    Complete Business Statistics with Student CD, 7th Ed., Authors: Amir Aczel, Jayavel Sounderpandian, McGraw-Hill/Irwin, ISBN: 0077239695; 978-0077239695. An easy to use online tutorial is available.

    RECOMMENDED: We recommend you look at the Quantitative Skills and the Accounting tutorials.

    Each fall, there will be math, economic and statistics workshops designed to help students review important concepts. This will take place during the entire week (Monday - Friday) prior to the start of classes so it is important to plan accordingly. During the semester there will be computer workshops focusing on advanced Excel topics as well as negotiations, communications, ethics, etiquette, cultural intelligence and others offered throughout the year. Many of these are offered as a part of your BA590 Frontiers in Technology course.

    Do I pay extra for executive development and other program activities?

    No, executive development and other activities associated with the program are already included in your fees. This includes trips in and around Illinois. The cost of transportation, hotels, and specified amounts for meals is included in your program fee; you will need to use your own money for entertainment and other expenses.

    The 5 day educational trip to San Francisco/Silicon Valley is optional and the fees will be additional.

    I have been admitted on "limited status" and must meet the program's minimum cumulative GPA at the end of the first semester to continue enrollment. What is the program's minimum cumulative GPA?

    The MS in Technology Management program follows the Graduate College minimums. Overall minimum is 2.75 to graduate; each semester minimum is 2.75; course minimum for credit is D-.

    If I arrive early, can I check-in early with MS in Technology Management, or do I have to wait until the assigned session?

    Yes, you may check in earlier than the assigned times as we are happy to know that you have arrived and assist you with anything that you may need. We also ask that you attend the regular check in as this is when we will begin the program.

    When does the course registration start? Do I register after I arrive on campus and check in with MS Technology Management office?

    You will need to set up your U of I account prior to registering for courses; once you are a registered student, your email account is also active. The University will communicate via this email so activating this account is important.


    General University FAQs

    Can you please explain what my “UIN” number is?

    Your UIN is your University Identification Number. It is assigned to you as soon as you submit your application and it is used for virtually everything associated with your studies at the University; it will appear on your identification card, your online student account, etc. Your University Identification Number (UIN) will be communicated in your notice of official admission. If you are unsure of your UIN, please request confirmation from us.

    What is the difference between “local” address and “permanent” address?

    Your permanent address is your address currently, in your home country. Your local address will be your address when you live here in Champaign-Urbana.

    If I already have health insurance coverage, can I drop the University's health insurance (and fees)?

    For your own protection, all MS in Technology Management students are required to carry the health insurance coverage provided by the University. For more information on the University's health insurance, please see:

    Does the insurance provided by the University include dental and vision coverage?

    Dental and vision are offered at an additional charge by University insurance. For more information on dental, see or vision, see

    How can I get involved with the campus and community?
    • The Daily Illini is a free, student-organized daily newspaper. It lists campus and local community events including cultural exhibits, performances, academic lectures, sports events, community fairs, movies, and other events. The newspaper is free, and you can find it in most buildings on campus.
    • The Champaign and Urbana Park districts list events and activities on their websites: and. Some of these events are free; others require a fee and registration.
    • Public libraries offer a wealth of community information and programs and events for people of all ages as well as books, videos, music, and reference materials. Anyone living in Champaign or Urbana can get a free library card and check out materials without charge. The Champaign Public Library is at 505 South Randolph Street. The Urbana Public Library is located at 201 S. Race Street.
    • The University of Illinois most official list of registered organizations allows you to browse the many campus clubs and organizations by category for your specific interests. There are more than 1,000 organizations available to students.
    • The YMCA offers many activities for people of all ages.
    What are other cultural and recreational opportunities?


    Living and Extracurricular FAQs

    What types of resources are available to help me find appropriate housing?
    • As students begin their transition to the University of Illinois and Urbana-Champaign, the Graduate College Housing has information about many of the housing options available.
    • You may find the following links useful in your search:
    • Campus and off-campus apartments: Newspaper or Cazoodle Search
    • Champaign-Urbana Tenant Union
    • University Housing Website: Sherman Hall is probably the closest University Housing option available to graduate students and, located only a few blocks away from where your classes will be, and you do not have to cook. If you are considering Graduate Halls, Daniels is also close. University Housing also has apartment options: Goodwin Green, Ashton Woods and Orchard Downs. These options tend to be fairly minimal.
    • Also, check out Campus Resources and Campus Life and Opportunities. International students may find additional information useful at International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).
    • The move in date in many of the area's housing is mid-August, however, since you must be here for Check in and Orientation week Housing has an Early Arrival/Departure form that can provide you with temporary housing. Attractive, short-term summer rates may be found for Graduate Track students.
    • Champaign-Urbana has a reasonable cost of living, and since MTD buses are included in the nonrefundable University fees paid by each student, many students choose to rent apartments around town. You are able to ride the MTD bus by simply showing your i-card. These buses run every 5-20 minutes and have multiple routes throughout campus, Urbana, Champaign and Savoy.
      • The Business Instructional Facility (BIF) is where your classes take place and is located at 515 East Gregory Drive, Champaign, IL, 61820.
      • The MS in Technology Management Office Suite is located in 15 Wohlers Hall (WH), 1206 South Sixth Street, Champaign, IL, 61820.
      • These two buildings are directly across the street from each other and adjacent to the main library.
    How can I arrange for housing through the University - do I need a social security number?

    Please follow the instructions below to help obtain university housing:

    • Go to
    • Click on PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS (by the photos)
    • Click on APPLY ONLINE (to the right of the photo)
    • Click on GRADUATE HALL CONTRACT under Making Plans for Living with Us
    • About five sections down, under "Before submitting your housing contract online", there is a link to set your password. Click on i-card website.
    • In the box under "Welcome to the i-card Web Site", click on "I NEED TO SET A PASSWORD AND PIN FOR THE FIRST TIME."
    • There is a section in red that begins with "IMPORTANT; if you do not have an SSN or did not provide - you will then need to click on the link for instructions on getting your password and PIN."

    You will receive instructions by email from the I-Card help desk about getting your password and PIN without a SSN. As for a Social Security Number, international students who do not work (F-1 can only work within the university) are ineligible for a Social Security Number. If asked for a Social Security Number by an outside source (for example, a utility company, etc.), you may need to provide a Letter of Ineligibility from the Office of International Student Affairs.

    What type of clothing should I bring?

    During regular classroom lectures, business casual attire is encouraged and required at times. For men, this includes a polo shirt or button-down shirt with no tie, nice pants such as corduroys, chinos, khakis or dress blue jeans. For women, this includes a polo shirt, blouse or sweater and nice pants such as corduroys, chinos, khakis or dress blue jeans. Sensible walking shoes are always a good idea as students do a lot of walking.

    The winters in Champaign-Urbana are often quite cold, averaging temperatures of 16-32 degrees Fahrenheit (-9-0 degrees Celsius) in January, so a warm coat, hats, gloves and boots are needed. Summers can be warm with August temperatures ranging from 65-85 degrees Fahrenheit (18-29 degrees Celsius).

    American business formal attire will be required from time to time. For men, this means a dress shirt with tie, a suit jacket, matching pants, belt, dress socks and dress shoes. For women, this means a blouse, a suit jacket with matching pants or skirt and dress shoes (closed-toe). Open-toed shoes are not appropriate.

    Can I work while enrolled in the MS Technology Management program?

    Since the MS in Technology Management program is an intensive and challenging program, jobs for students are typically discouraged. Many assignments are done in teams which will require you to be flexible with your schedule. However, if your financial situation requires that you must work, visit the University’s Office of Student Employment website or the Virtual Job Board to find flexible part-time work. Both are updated daily. Please note: if you have an F1 visa, you may ONLY work on-campus.


    Career and Professional Services FAQs

    What type of career paths do MS Technology Management Program students pursue after graduation?

    Students enter the MS in Technology Management Program for a variety of reasons; however, many enter to diversify their knowledge and to grow professionally. Examples of career path opportunities for graduates include assuming an advanced role without changing divisions within their companies, changing divisions within their companies, transferring to another company, or possibly working in different country. The MS in Technology Management Program offers students the opportunity to uniquely position themselves to advance their careers by offering an intensive and comprehensive learning experience.

    Students in the Advancement track find their career path opportunities include assuming an advanced role without changing divisions within their companies, changing divisions within their companies, transferring to a competitor, or possibly working in different country. They may assume positions as analyst, consultant or manager.

    Students in the Graduate track find their career path opportunities include assuming a role with a clear path toward or direct responsibility in management. They may also assume positions as analyst, consultant or manager.

    What types of services are provided for my career search?

    The University of Illinois and the College of Business are ready to assist MS in Technology Management students as they determine their career path. Business Career Services, the Career Center and The Graduate College Career Services Office offer services and events to assist students who are in the career market. Provided to students seeking employment, these services can be invaluable resources. These are not placement services, rather professional assistance and guidance for the career-seeking process.

    Additionally, the program strives to provide services to develop and maintain relationships with a variety of companies to ensure they are familiar with our students, curriculum, and activities within the program.

    Students sponsored by their employer are not eligible to participate in career services unless they have specific written permission from their employer prior to using career services..


    International Student FAQs

    What is my "Certificate of Eligibility Form"?

    Your certificate of eligibility as an international student is your I-20 or DS-2019. See ISSS Visa Information for more details.

    Do I need to pay the SEVIS fee or is it included in my MS Technology Management program fees?

    Usually paid online, the SEVIS fee is an additional fee paid by the student to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Office. Information regarding the SEVIS I-901 Feemay be obtained from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security website.

    I am confused about the EPT test – can you please provide more information? In addition, does the ESL class, as listed on the class schedule, count toward our total 40 credit hours needed for graduation?

    Having to take the English Placement Test (EPT Test) is nothing to be concerned or worried about! Many international students are required to take this test because the University’s requirement is any incoming, non-native English-speaking student with 102 iBT TOEFL scores or lower/6.5 IELTS on all subsections is admitted limited status and required to take the English Placement Test (EPT).

    Here is how it works: The MS in Technology Management program will schedule your time for the EPT test, generally on the Saturday prior to classes beginning. Almost all students who take the EPT, end up taking English as a Second Language (ESL) 505. You will take it at the same time as your other Fall semester classes, your MS in Technology Management coursework is not delayed. Fees for the test and class are paid by the MS in Technology Management program. (The course counts as 0 hours toward University credits but 4 hours toward SEVIS credits if you desire to take a reduced course load.)

    To become eligible for full status in regards to the English requirement, you must meet one of the following criteria:

    1. achieve a 103 or higher on the TOEFL or a minimum of 6.5 on all IELTS scores, prior to check-in;
    2. achieve an acceptable score on the EPT; or
    3. successfully complete the course prescribed (ESL 505) as a result of the EPT test.

    For information about other English Opportunities, see ISSS English Language Resources.

    How can I improve my English?

    PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Practice makes perfect. Use English in conversations, writing and reading as must as possible. ESL Resources has many great suggestions for improving language skills. Also, see English Opportunities.

    I have been admitted on “limited status” for English proficiency. What does that mean?

    Full status admission for English proficiency is 103iBT or 7.0 IELTS or higher. However, lower scores will be considered for limited status admission. The requirements for limited status are an English Placement Test upon arrival to campus and, if required based upon EPT results, an English as a Second Language course during the first semester. Once you successfully complete both, you have fulfilled the requirements of the limited status.

    I am confused whether I am considered a sponsored student?

    A sponsored student is any student whose tuition and/or fees are paid directly to the University by an outside organization that requires a bill from the University before remitting payment. Students who receive scholarships, stipends, tuition reimbursement or personal payments from an organization are not considered sponsored students.

    This DOES NOT APPLY to students who are paid directly or supported by others. Sponsored students receive the same education and service as nonsponsored students other than they cannot use Career Services, unless the sponsor agrees in writing. For more information, see the University's information.

    I am a sponsored student, how can I ensure my sponsor is billed?

    A sponsored student is any student whose tuition and/or fees are paid by a specific organization (other than the University of Illinois or a bank account) and the agency requires a bill be sent to that organization before payment is sent to the University.

    This DOES NOT APPLY to students who are paid directly or for support money. Sponsor agreements must not be contingent upon students grades and payments must be made when due. The University will not wait until the end of the semester to bill a sponsor.

    If your education at the University of Illinois is supported by an outside agency, University Student Financial Services and Cashier Operations (USFSCO) can bill the agency directly. Outside agencies can be other schools, educational foundations, businesses, and governmental agencies. They cannot bill relatives or your bank account.

    In order to bill your sponsor directly, USFSCO will require a signed letter of authorization from your sponsor. This letter must be written in English and on your sponsor's official stationery. It must request the University to bill the sponsor for your account, identified by your full name (given name first and family name last) and date of birth. This authorization letter must include a billing address. It must clearly state what charges your sponsor will pay, for example: tuition only, or tuition and all mandatory fees. The University needs to know for what period of time your sponsor will be responsible for your charges. The beginning and ending dates are very important. If your sponsor wishes to renew its support after a given ending date, it can do so by sending a new authorization letter with new beginning and ending dates. The mailing address for USFSCO is: Agency Accounts, University Student Financial Services and Cashier Operations, 162 Henry Administration Building, 506 S Wright Street, Urbana, IL, 61801, USA. The letter can also be faxed to (217) 239-6890 to the attention of Sponsored Billing.

    You MUST keep your local address up to date in your Enterprise account. DO NOT give your sponsor's address as your address.

    University Student Financial Services and Cashier Operations can only bill a sponsor for housing if you live in a U of I dormitory. Private residence halls or other University-owned or private housing cannot be billed to a sponsor. Bookstore charges for UIUC and UIS students: The bookstore has a separate billing procedure. Please contact the Manager of the bookstore to arrange for direct sponsor billing for books and supplies. Please be sure to bring a copy of your sponsor authorization letter with you. The University provides Health Insurance as part of mandatory fees. If you have other comparable insurance coverage you may petition to be exempt from our program. This petition must be presented to your campus’ Student Insurance Office during the designated enrollment change period.

    You will receive an email notification around the first week of the month following the start of classes informing you that your University of Illinois E-Bill is available for viewing, via the web. This notification will also instruct you on how to access your E-Bill. If the bill does not show your sponsor's support, forward your authorization letter (or have your sponsor forward an authorization letter) and a printed copy of your E-Bill to USFSCO at 162 Henry Administration Building, 506 S Wright Street, Urbana, IL, 61801, USA. The letter can also be faxed to 217-333-9132 to the attention of Sponsored Billing. In any case, you must pay the portion of the bill by the date due for any of the various refundable and other charges that cannot be billed to your sponsor. If you do not pay your portion of the bill by the due date, you will be assessed late payment charges! Please do not send a copy of your student E-Bill to your sponsor as this will cause confusion and could lead to double payment! The University will send them a bill directly and the sponsor’s payment due date will be different from the due date stated on the student’s bill.

    USFSCO will bill your sponsor on a monthly basis. Sponsors, however, will have a different due date than students. If payment is not made in a timely manner, the charges could be billed to your personal account. You will then responsible for payment of all bills from the University and will be subject to the deadlines established for all students. In addition, USFSCO may not honor your sponsor's request to bill them in the future.

    During the semester, it is a good idea to keep in touch with your sponsor. If you have any questions or problems you should contact USFSCO by phone at 217-333-2180, via e-mail at with Sponsored Billing as the subject line or stop by USFSCO at 506 S Wright St, Room 125 Henry Administration Building, Urbana, IL.

    Other useful websites:


    Financial FAQs

    I am looking for some additional resources for financial aid?

    The MS in Technology Management program is a cost-recovery program and offers limited scholarships, financial aid or tuition assistance (see Scholarships, Awards & Graduate Assistantships for more information.) Assistantships are not available through the program but available hourly University positions may be found at the University’s Office of Student Employment website or the Virtual Job Board. Both are updated daily.

    Please note: if you have an F1 visa, you may ONLY work on-campus at University positions. Limited scholarships and financial aid resources for international students can be found at

    How much are tuition, fees and other expenses, and how do I pay them?

    Please click here for tuition and fees. These are the same, for instate, domestic and international. Tuition and fees are not assessed until after a student enrolls in the University. The bill should arrive electronically via your University email during the first week of each semester. Due dates are noted on all bill notifications, the 28th of the month. Tuition bills and fees can be paid on-line by electronic transfer or credit card, or they can be paid at the Student Accounts and Cashiers Office, 100 Henry Administration Building. You may request a copy of any bill at this location. Your $1,000 deposit will be credited to your first 16-week semester billing.

    If you are sponsored by your company (or an agency), we suggest that you have your sponsor pay the deposit or reimburse you for the amount. Once you arrive and advise us, we will submit to the University of Illinois Sponsored Student Billing Office your name and your sponsor’s address as listed on your financial certification form (part of your application to the program). If this information is not current or correct, you need to provide the current contact person and email address of your sponsor to the MS in Technology Management office. Sponsors are billed 2-6 weeks after student billings post. It may take a few weeks for the bills to be received and processed by your sponsoring company or agency (especially international mail); this delay may result in late fees. If you or your sponsor is charged a late fee, please see someone in the program office to help resolve the issue.


    Admission/Application FAQs

    What program selections should be made in the Application Information section of the Application?

    In the Application Information section, the Proposed Program is: Technology Management. Degree is: Technology Management-MS. Concentration/Field of Specialization is: None. Other Field of Specialization is: left empty. Joint Program is: left empty or none. Desired Term of Enrollment is: Summer (if you're applying for the Graduate Track and have ~2 or less years of work experience. No work experience is fine.) Fall (if you're applying for the Advancement Track and have more than 2 years work experience. Military experience may be included as work experience.)

    Where should my test scores be sent?

    You can request your official test scores for the TOEFL and the GRE from the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Applicants to any University of Illinois program should request their scores be sent to Institution Code #1836; Department Code 00.

    Official IELTS scores can be uploaded into the application system.

    GMAT scores are provided by PearsonVue. Scores should be sent using the code VKRTK14.

    When will official or attested credentials be required by the University?

    All credentials uploaded to the online application are considered unofficial. You will be asked to submit official or attested credentials the Graduate College (transcripts, academic records, diplomas, certificates of degrees, etc. - also English translations if the credentials are not in English) in a sealed envelope, with a certification stamp across the seal IF you are admitted.

    These must be submitted to Graduate College Admissions during your first term (considered fall or spring) of enrollment at the University of Illinois. So for the majority of admitted students (all summer & fall start), they will be due September 15. They do not need to arrive by the orientation date of your term. Once admitted, you can provide them at any time to the MSTM office and we will forward them to the Graduate College.

    The University of Illinois reserves the right to require official academic credentials at any time during the admissions process, and rescind any offer of admission made if discrepancies between unofficial and official transcript(s) are found.

    What do your students have to say about the MS in Technology Program and the University of Illinois?

    Students take advantage of the many opportunities at the University. Check out our student blog to learn more.

    ∞ Back to top © 2015 University of Illinois, College of Business